Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

I own a VW Tiguan 125kw TSI 6sp Auto.chassis no:

Customer Question

I own a VW Tiguan 125kw TSI 6sp Auto.chassis no: WVGZZZ5NZ9W101283. Yesterday I could open the rear door. Later in the day the door now won't open/release with either set of automatic unlocking keys. Both sets of keys batteries are still working. When I press the unlocking mechanism I can hear a short "whirring" sound. Why don't these vehicles have an internal release button. I had to scramble over into the back but could not do anything as there is no lever on the inside. I have had no trouble with this car since I bought it. I also get it serviced regularly by a really good mechanic who knows about VW's.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Usually what fails commonly and causes this fault here is the rear door lock actuator/latch itself.It fails to electronically release allowing the door to open.You will usually hear the noise you hear with it when this occurs like this.On models that do not have a manual release or when the locking actuator/latch fails unfortunately the interior rear door trim panel needs removed to manually try and release the latch.Unfortunately some of these were designed this way making it impossible to open without having the paneling removed and in turn in some cases this can damage the paneling to where it will need repaired or replaced after words.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.