Scott
Scott, Master Mechanic
Experience:  30 yrs experience with Aussie, Japanese & British cars
29644491

2012 Merc Vito check engine light is on no change in engine

Customer Question

2012 Merc Vito check engine light is on no change in engine performance, no noises, no other issues, some soot blowing from exhaust at times
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
Firstly I would get the error read with a code reader, assuming that all fluids are topped up & nothing is obviously amiss.
Preferably after the code read, & resolution of whatever that may be, take the vehicle for a highway run at a sustained 3000 rpm or better. That will get the filter unit hot enough to burn off excess particulate matter - in fact, the system relies on it. There's a number of reasons why the engine could be generating excess soot, if that is indeed the case. The code read may be of assistance in any fault diagnosis..
I hope this helps!
Cheers
Scott