Scott
Scott, Master Mechanic
Experience:  30 yrs experience with Aussie, Japanese & British cars
29644491

I own a 85 Mondial Quatro, recently a timing belt broke and

Customer Question

Hello, I own a 85 Mondial Quatro, recently a timing belt broke and compression test revealed valve issues. I have removed all ten head bolts and washers, soaked with penetrating lubricant and applied continuous force via a pulley system, yet after two days the cylinder head will not budge. Have I overlooked something? Is there any other hidden fasteners holding the head on??
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
The 308 series engines, of which yours is one, are renowned for corrosion siezure of the head castings onto the block. If I'm not mistaken, it has studs & nuts - assuming you've squirted plenty of penetrating fluid around the stud holes, you'll need a block of softwood & a club hammer to shock the head free. Work your way around the base of the head avoiding the top cover flanges. Usually the engine needs to be out of the car to provide access for this.
Rarely does a continuous force as you've described work - it's the 'shock' effect of the block of timber & hammer that does the work..
Once you get it moving off the block, you can use timber to pry it off further..
I hope this helps - it will require persistence. There are head puller plates available for this, but even using those, the head usually requires a 'slap' to free it..
Cheers
Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand what you are saying, I have been giving the head a hit with a timber mallet along with the consistent pressure and WD40. My question is, other than the 10 nuts and washers I have removed from the studs going through to the crank case, are there any other fasteners I don't know about holding the head in place??
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,
Apologies for not addressing that bit - yes, you've removed all that is securing the head..
Cheers
Scott