Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I have a 2004 jeep grand cherokee lorado with 2.7l deisel

Customer Question

I have a 2004 jeep grand cherokee lorado with 2.7l deisel auto . It is stuck in 3rd gear and won't change! any thoughts?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.
I am not clear on whether this is a manual or automatic transmission, which makes a difference on diagnosis.
If automatic, I also need to know whether the shift lever is stuck or you are referring to the transmission itself.
If the transmission, this is usually a faulty solenoid pack that is bolted to the top of the valve body
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi , thanks for getting back to me. it is an auto and the lever isn't stuck, the transmission just doesn't change from 2nd. It starts in 2nd and drives in 2nd.BTW is it doing more harm continuing to drive it?
thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, this is likely the solenoid pack mounted to the valve body.
Yes, it can cause damage to the bands and clutches if you are driving any faster than 25-30mph with it.