Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota/Lexus expert
Experience:  30 + years experience with Toyota products
14892859

Gday, i have a Toyota Prado with the 5 speed auto behind a

Customer Question

Gday, i have a Toyota Prado with the 5 speed auto behind a V6. Question is, why does the torque converter not lock sometimes (especially at highway speed)? 114000ks on it.
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It usually doesn't lock up after it has kicked down a gear
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Gday. Please allow me to assist you. The number one reason torque converters do not lock is the coolant temperature is below 177 degrees F. Toyota has engineered the transmissions to not lock up until the engine is at operating temperature. The threshold is 177 degrees F. If the coolant temperature drops below 177, the trans computer will not allow the lock up solenoid to be powered up. This is common with vehicles that do not have a thermostat installed, an incorrect thermostat, or a thermostat that is sticking open too long. The recommendation I have for you on this request would be to have the coolant temperature measured. If it is below 177, it needs the thermostat replaced. If the coolant is above that, it is most likely you have a sluggish or otherwise sticking lock up solenoid. With 114,000 Km on the unit, a good transmission flush would be a very good idea at this time.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer