Scott
Scott, Master Mechanic
Experience:  30 yrs experience with Aussie, Japanese & British cars
29644491

I have a 99 Toyota lux (Tacoma in the US ?) 4x2 with a 3RZ-

Customer Question

Hi ... I have a 99 Toyota Hilux (Tacoma in the US ?) 4x2 with a 3RZ- FE engine. I am told that if I look in the diagnosis unit in the top left corner and a small bridging pin is in position it should be removed ... apparently the function of the bridging pin is to limit the engines self-adjustment of timing before customer delivery ?????? Hoping this makes sense, any light you can shed on this would be much appreciated.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.

I see no one has replied with the info you are looking for here.Most likely this is due to the info being difficult to obtain.If you haven't yet you may try and contact a dealer or authorized repair center to see if they can tell you for sure if there is a bridging pin and if it needs removed at all to correct this issue.If this is not an option for you here let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete .......... thanks for your msg. I've made contact with a Toyota dealer here in Aust but he has not got back to me with an answer. Perhaps I should explain a little better - I have been able to open the top of the diagnosis unit & there is indeed a small bridging pin in the top left corner - my issue is : can I remove the bridging pin ? and if I do, will removal of the pin unlock the self-timing of the engine - which is my objective ! Secondly, are there any other unforseen consequences of removing the bridging pin ??? Any light you can shed on this would be much appreciated, thanks again ..... Mark Addis
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself for this.If you want I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Pete ...... I would very much appreciate my question being opened up for others to see - assistance from anyone else would be most welcome.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

No problem,I will have to open this question up for others here to see if they can assist further on this as someone else here may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.

Hi guys,
While I don't have personal experience with this one, I've heard of this issue before. The claim is that the bridge isolates the ignition timing 'self learn' function for the ECU, so that you aren't stuck with an ECU that has 'learned' the conditions associated with moving the vehicle around pre-delivery etc.
Apparently on removal of the bridge, the engine will take some minutes to settle into its new learned conditions, but it does bump up performance & associated fuel economy.
I cannot see any reason why you shouldn't try it, ie I can't see any way such a bridge, if removed, would cause an irreversible condition..
I hope this helps!
Cheers
Scott