sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My car is 2004 JEEP CHEROKEE 2.8 DIESEL TURBO.i dont know

Customer Question

HI
My car is 2004 JEEP CHEROKEE 2.8 DIESEL TURBO.i dont know what happened to My car?
yesterday i was on the way suddenly like the sound of knocking com and to much black smoke of back my car.please could u help me? thanks
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer!
I wouldn't recommend running the engine again until the problem is diagnosed.
The problem could be an engine mechanical issue or possibly fuel contamination but I expect you have an injector that has failed. If an injector fails mechanically it will over fuel the affected cylinder which will cause the black smoke, but it will also cause a knocking noise. Depending on the extent of the failure the noise could just be excessive combustion knock or it could be mechanical noise as the engine essentially tries to hydrolock. If there are no fault codes set and the fuel doesn't appear to be contaminated then an injector return test can be performed and the injector lines can be capped one at a time to see if the smoke and noise subsides.