Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

I have a 98 xj Cherokee and the key sentry light came on whe

Customer Question

I have a 98 xj Cherokee and the key sentry light came on whe I tried to start it this morning also fuel gauge etc not working also electric engine fan comes on with ignition,
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also engine will not start even for a few seconds, could the crank position sensor cause this?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
If the key sentry light is on, this would be an immobilizer issue, and this would cause the engine not to start.
The crankshaft position sensor would not cause this, nor will it cause the fan, and the instrument panel issues.
But when you say the engine would not start, is it turning? or you get nothing?
did you try using a spare key (if available)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
engine turning over but not firing and only have one key
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
Let's try to reset the antitheft (immobilizer system) manually, just remove the battery negative cable for an hour or so, and refit, try to start. Get back to me with the results so we proceed as needed.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have done that nothing
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Do you have access to a DRB scan tool, so we can retrieve the fault codes from the immobilizer module and try to reset it?