Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

Toyota Land Cruiser: I had just serviced my 2010 prado gxl

Customer Question

I had just serviced my 2010 prado gxl diesel turdo for 160 000 km from then I just noticed the engine sound bit different. When you press the accelarator pedal, you can hear the air whistling sound. How to fix this?
Also I noticed a rattling sound from engine when I open the throttle half (similar to tappet sound). I asked the technician to check and he said this is quite normal for D4D engine. They have checked the valve clearance etc, but they could not find anything unusual.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
which items were exactly serviced?
was engine oil replaced, and which oil grade was used?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just done the complete service with Toyota changed the engine oil, front and rear differetials,air filter. I'm not sure of the grade of the oil they have used, but I would say they should be using the recommended grade of oil.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
If this started directly after oil replacement, then the most likely reason would be the oil grade. I'm not saying that the oil grade is not recommended, but there are always different grades recommended, a thicker oil might silence the engine a bit more.
And having this, alond with the whistling right after the service, i would tell them that, and make sure they double check.
But would you be able to get the oil grade (viscosity) used?