Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

What are the problems with the clutch and the CV joints that

Customer Question

What are the problems with the clutch and the CV joints that people are experiencing your rating of the vx caddy 1.2 TSi for reliability, longevity?
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2014 Volkswagen Caddy Runner petrol from Australia and New ZealandSummary:
Our dream car has turned into a nightmare. Do not trust VW and do not buy VWFaults:
While driving in the city of Brisbane making deliveries in it, the clutch completely gave way, going straight to the floor, making the car undrivable. This has happened at just approx. 13,500 km. There was no warning that anything was wrong with the clutch, as one would normally expect. The car had to be subsequently driven to a safer spot - approx 400 metres, and a strong burning smell was at this point noted, but not when the clutch went initially to the floor in the first place.Upon examination, the clutch was shown to have extensive damage. However, there would surely have been some signs during normal driving that something was wrong with the clutch with this damage. It is the opinion of our mechanic, who examined the clutch independently, that this damage occurred during the 400 metres or so that the vehicle had to be driven to get it to a safer spot. VW Australia and the (QLD) dealership from which we bought it are stonewalling the issue, being extremely arrogant and unhelpful, and only keen to blame us - NO clutch riding took place with the 2 drivers who were driving it. Both drivers have no history whatsoever of clutch riding in their very long driving histories, but this is all VW is saying, placing full blame on us. We have lost income - milk was lost when the vehicle broke down - and deliveries could not be made for a week afterwards, until VW finally decided that we were in fact eligible for a courtesy vehicle - for 5 days.Also, VW went against its own Customer Charter by refusing to tow the Caddy to our dealership of choice, instead insisting it had to go to the nearest dealership, leaving the driver to fend for himself many miles from home and with milk on board. No recompense is being offered.General Comments:
Otherwise seemed to be going well.Model year 2014
Year of manufacture 2014
First year of ownership 2014
Most recent year of ownership 2015
Engine and transmission petrol Manual
Performance marks 1 / 10
Reliability marks 1 / 10
Comfort marks 5 / 10
Dealer Service marks 1 / 10
Running Costs (higher is cheaper) 6 / 10
Overall marks (average of all marks)
2.8 / 10
Previous car Volkswagen CaddyWould you buy another car from this manufacturer? NoReview Date: 10th March, 2015Comment on this reviewActions
11th Mar 2015, 17:15This speaks about VW customer service. A clutch plate car wears out if the clutch bearing doesn't properly disengage because of mechanical fault. So obviously not the owner's fault, but the car maker is finding excuses to not respect the warranty.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
If you know for sure this was a defect on the build of this particular model here that you have and the dealer and manufacture will not help the only other option is to seek legal advice to see if something can be done to help here.
We offer some help here on this.Copy and paste the link below into a new web page or web tab to see if they can offer some assistance on this here.
http://www.justanswer.com/law/
Thanks Pete