Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

Holden Statesman: I have a wh 02 holden statesman. 5.7L gen

Customer Question

I have a wh 02 holden statesman. 5.7L gen III auto. It's done240000 kms. It's just started to rev right out before it changes gears. Mostly 2nd -3rd. Is that this the clutch or the gearbox??
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It only changes gears after planting your foot and the releasing it quickly.
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 1 year ago.
hi welcome to just answers my name is ***** ***** hope to be of some help . Is this an automatic transmission, or manual with a foot clutch pedal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Automatic
have you check transmission fluid for contamination or low level because this will also cause a problem like that.
if you have and fluid is good then the problem is 2and 4 fluid accumulator piston seal leacking or piston binding and sticking.
this will require the removal of the valve body to get to the accumulator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked and topped up the transmission fluid. Is this a hard and costly process?? Or am I better off dropping a 5 speed manual in it??
a manual transmission will will also require modification ot the shifter and a clutch pedal plus the hydraulic system with a slave master to actuate the clutch on the transmission all this work plus parts will cust you more then just droping a remanufacture automatic transmission in it.
droping the valve body and replasing the accumulator seal or piston will cust a few hundread dollars
if you planing on keeping the vehicle for a while i will suggest to just get a transmission from a salvage yard wish is going to cust you less then doing the accumulator repair ,and call it a day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So would u recommend replacing the whole gear box??
yes is cust effective.