Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

Jazz Vibe: I'm driving a 2013 Jazz Vibe, 1.3l (Australia).

Customer Question

I'm driving a 2013 Jazz Vibe, 1.3l (Australia). I get exactly the type of noise described in this post. It's a scraping sound around 200rpm in all gears. Most notable in gear 3 and four under load, but also in 2 going uphill at slow speed. Driving is fine, no problem. It's a manual transmission. Dealer inspected the car under warrnaty and found nothing wrong. Strnage, as the noise arose only recently after approximately 30,000km. Was clearly not there before.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
If you depress the clutch pedal, does the noise go away?
even if you have high revs (pressing the accelerator pedal to 2000 rpm or other)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. The nosie is only there if there is load on the drive train, such as (even modest) accelerating at low revs. The more I put my foot down, the stronger the 'rattle" or 'grinding" becomes. I don't usually stress the engine by putting a heavy load on low reves, but sometimes, like turning into my home street, I have to put my foot down in 2nd gear.
The noise seems to come from the passenger side and is clearly load related. Hope this helps you to narrow it down.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
This does help... as this should eliminate the wheel bearings at least.
If you rev while stationary, do you get the rattle, at least a bit?
do you notice any clutch slipping?
and was the exhaust tested?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No rattle at stationery at all. No clutch slipping. I had the car checked by the local Honda dealer. They didn't find any problem with it. I then had my local mechanic trest drive it - he said it's likely to be a vibration of some kind, but couldn't pin it down. He also suggested a 'drive-train' or timing chain problem, whatever that means. He actually suggested a "Roller" test to narrow it down - do you know what he meant? I just know that I've never had that type of noise, or any strange noise, before with a car less than 35,000km old!
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Drivetrain means basically the transmission. The timing chain would be on the the engine (connecting the crankshaft to the camshaft).
It could be one of those, but i would discard the timing chain, as it should also do this with the car stationary. Being a noise only with load, and vehicle moving, i would stick with the drivetrain (transmission, clutch etc..), or exhaust (loose mount or other).
I would have them inspect the exhaust first, and do the test to check the drivetrain noises...
Kindly get back to me with your findings, so we proceed until the culprit is pinpointed...
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so far. I will have request Honda to have another, closer look at it.
Regards, Mike
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Take your time Mike.... I will be waiting for the results, so we proceed accordingly.