Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

Chrysler PT Cruiser GT: there,I have a 2006 PT Cruiser

Customer Question

Hi there,
I have a 2006 PT Cruiser GT Auto.
Last night i unlocked the car and got in, there was a flashing red led light to the right of steering column (I'm in Australia so car is right-hand drive).
The car started with no issues and the red light stopped when i got home.
Can you tell me what this red flashing means?
Note: This is not the light on the dashboard, so I'm assuming it has something to do with the security/alarm system????
Thanks
Carl
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to just answers Carl , it appears the security system was trip by a possible bad key module but it reset itself again, make sure the battery on your key fob is good and have the key fob check for signal reference to the security module.
if you have a second key fob try that one and see if the problem continues . the must likely to be the problem is the key fob.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks mate, thought it might be something like that.
I've only just bought the car a few days ago and this morning I used the other key that was with the car - no issues at all so probably the key as you mentioned. I'll check the battery in the key.
What's the best way to check for signal reference to the security module?
Just to confirm - the red light is specifically for the alarm/security system right? See attached file (sorry it's upside down!)
One last thing, there were also two small key supplied with the car, they look like they open some small lock (like a glove box) but I just cannot work out what they are for - any ideas??
Cheers
ok yes that is an after market security light to the alarm system nothing to worry just a remote fob problem...
as to the keys....pt cruisers do not come with extra keys other then the ignition start switch and that's coated to the door locks so i would not be able to tell you what they for.... can you send me a picture of them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ricardo,
Kinda got worried about red light issues and PT Cruisers when i read some forums online. Makes sense that it's an after market addition and I could find anything in the manual about it!
Attached is shot of the keys that were supplied.
Cheers
Carl
yes one is the key fob attach to the key and the other is not for that car that looks like a tool box key because of its shape, but I assure you it does not belong to the car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cool, glad to now know this stuff now!
Just one last thing, how can I check for signal reference to the security module?
it requires a scanner to check the signal reference from your key fob and that can be found at any well known repair shop or the dealer .
you will be better off baying the battery' at the dealer because they will check the key fob before replacing the batterys
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ricardo, you're a champ!
Many thanks for your help.
Carl
sorry for the delay ... I thank you for your question and if you need my help in the future please look me up i will try my best to give you the best must accurate answer to solve any problems related to your vehicle ...thank you and good night.