Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Chevrolet C1500 Pick up: I have a 1988 C1500 chev pick up.

Customer Question

I have a 1988 C1500 chev pick up. Can I remove the ABS module and hydraulic unit attached?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** it is fine to remove the abos module with hydraulic unit attached. Let e know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell how the current ABS works on my truck
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Here is description from manual.-The Kelsey Hayes four wheel anti-lock brake system is used on the 1992-98 Suburban, Jimmy, Yukon and Blazer and C/K Series trucks.The 4 wheel anti-lock system is designed to reduce brake lock-up during severe brake application. The Electro-Hydraulic Control Unit (EHCU) valve-located near the master cylinder-controls the hydraulic pressure within the brake lines.The control valve is made up of 2 types of valves. Each front wheel and the combined rear wheel circuit are served by a dedicated isolation valve and a dump valve. The isolation valves maintain pressure within their respective circuits; the dump valves release pressure within each circuit as commanded by the EHCU. The valves are controlled by a micro-computer within the EHCU valve.In a severe brake application, the EHCU valve will either allow pressure to increase within the system or maintain (isolate) the pressure within the system or release existing pressure through the dump valves into the accumulators.The EHCU valve operates by receiving signals from the speed sensors, located at each wheel, and from the brake lamp switch. The speed sensors connect directly to the EHCU valve through a multi-pin connector.The system is connected to the ANTI-LOCK warning lamp on the dashboard. The warning lamp will illuminate for about 2 seconds every time the vehicle is started. The warning lamp will illuminate it the computer detects a problem within the anti-lock system during vehicle operation.-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My truck is an 1988 model and there are no whell sensors that are on normal ABS. mine has a module next to the master cylinder and a hydraulic valve linked into the rear wheels and wires to this module.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vin No. 1GCD14K9JZ233964
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Ok, give me a minutes. Thanks.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Here is a description from manual for system you have. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.-https://www.dropbox.com/s/uxl8z7c11jirsev/rwal.pdf?dl=0-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
unable to download file from this link.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
It is working on my side, try and download the following pdf reader and let me know if it helps. thanks.-https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/products/pdf-reader.html-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it, 2 pages with data on page 1. Do you have the list of error codes as well?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Here is a list of codes, let me know if you get specific codes. Thanks.-https://www.dropbox.com/s/ft00n12p5mbgt8d/codes.PNG?dl=0-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Counting the flashes i think get code 18
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
That is not a valid code. I'm getting offline but w can talk more about it tomorrow. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Will you check codes again to double check? Thanks.