Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

F6 Typhoon: Morning Glenn,I tried to start my BA F6 this morning,and

Customer Question

Morning Glenn,I tried to start my BA F6 this morning,and the key felt very loose in the barrel.
I jiggled it a by and got power to the start button and the car runs fine.
But,I cannot stop it with the key,and although the engine runs and the lights work,I have no aircon,no electric windows and no wipers.
I have to stall the engine to stop it.
If I disconnect the battery and reconnect it the ignition stays on and I can start the car.
What do you think could be the problem,the F6 has 180k on the clock and has been very well looked after.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.
Hi There, The BA & BF Falcon ignition switch integral to the steering column are a common fail point. This is referring to the electrical switch operated by the key & barrel, not the key & barrel itself.The fix is a new/second hand or rebuilt upper column assembly, as the switch block is not readily removed from the column assembly. There's a service on offer through Australian 'Gumtree' that supplies rebuilt upper columns for about $350 on exchange. I can't post links here unfortunately. Note there's a variation between BA & BF & between some models in the respective range..I hope this is of assistance..CheersScott