Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

Ford: , I HAVE A 2004 BA XR6, I WANT TO 18"X8" MAGS WITH

Customer Question

HI, I HAVE A 2004 BA XR6, I WANT TO 18"X8" MAGS WITH 245X45 TYRES ON IT, BUT THE CLEARENCE AT THE TOP BALL JOINT IS VERY CLOSE TO THE TYRE EVEN WITH A 5CM WHEEL SPACER, IS THERE A REPLACEMENT LOWER CONTROL ARM THAT WILL FIX THIS PROBLEM? I HERD FG FALCON HAVE A DIFFERENT CONTROL ARM, WILL THIS FIT INTO MY BA XR6. HAVE YOU GOT ANY IDEAS? THANKS MICK
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mick,I will give you some advice.I would get the correct wheels for the vehicle with correct offset to suit BA.Clearly if you have a 5cm (50mm) wheel spacer (that is illegal), you aren't on the right track to start with.The clearance you would talking about won't change by much, just by swapping the lower control arm.Which way do you want to go with the lower arm, longer I assume to give more negative camber, but that will make matters worse at the top balljoint.The steering geometry is also completely wrong for a street car.I hope you take my advice on board.Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI GARY, THE RIMS ARE 18X8 WITH THE RIGHT OFF SET TO SUIT MY BA XR6, I CHECKED WITH SPEEDY WHEELS OFFICE IN SYDNEY. I AM TRYING TO RUN 245X45 TYRES ON THE RIMS. I KNOW IF I PUT 245X40 TYRES BACK ON THE RIMS I HAVE NO PROBLEMS AND I DONT HAVE TO HAVE THE SPACER. IS THERE A MODIFICATION OUT THERE TO FIX THIS PROBLEM. THANKS MICK
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mick,I see your problem now.The only way around it would be to change the whole front end since you are limited by the knuckle assembly.If the top ball joint was inside the wheel instead of on top of the tyre, that would make life a lot easier.I would talk to a suspension shop in your area, I've looked on the internet for you, but I can't see a different knuckle option.Hope this helps.RegardsGary