Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

Hyunda Elantra: I own a hyundi elantra 2012 it seems the choke

Customer Question

I own a hyundi elantra 2012 it seems the choke is on for to long chowing petral, i only do about 6000 klms per year, mostly short trips, the blue light goes out resonably quick ( wormed up )
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only get 360 klms per tankfull previously i was getting about 450 per tankfull i know short trips chews petral but this abit low?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My formular for that is lts used ×100÷distance traveled=lts per 100klms then 100 ÷litres per 100 x 48 (lts per tank full) gives klms per tank full
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I will try to offer some advice to you.A few things.Fuel consumption on any vehicle is always worse in the first few kms as the engine is warming up.Thee ratio of engine at operating temp versus warming up determines average fuel consumption.One of my cars shows me L/100 on the dash. It I drive it just to the shops and back, it returns figures of 25-28L/100km.And yet it's average is 9.5L/100km.One of the best pieces of advice I have given to people is use 98 fuel.They proved it on A Current Affair, they proved it on Mythbusters.It costs more per litre, BUT the vehicle may and can travel further per tank.So then more km/L gives lower running cost.Watch the fuel price, fill the tank when the price is cheap.An upper cylinder clean using Subaru Upper Cylinder Clean will do wonders as well, great product.Hope this helps.Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried each of the various fuels & get NO different outcome. I do not take any notice of the dashboard figures i gave the formula i use.Because i have not got a satisfactory outcome i am claiming my money back, & wish to cancell any membership i have thank you.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,It is a shame that car won't respond to 98 fuel.I would take to Hyundai, to see what they say.I was using the example above to show what the computed average fuel consumption is for a short trip.I do not solely rely on it. I have and still do for the past 35 years do my own calculation for actual fuel used versus kms travelled. Fill to the first click, at the same servo, zero the trip meter, same maths every time.The Subaru product would probably help you.All the best.Gary