Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certifications in Engine Repair, Manual Drivetrain and Axles, Suspension and Steering, and Heating and A/C.
49095596

Sprinter 315: Robert,I have a mercedes sprinter(###) ###-####

Customer Question

Hi Robert,
I have a mercedes sprinter(###) ###-#### ***** I boight from an auction. Unfortunately they did not mention that the van blows white smoke in their condition report. But now I am stuck with the van.
afrer reading the error codes, there was EGR error, DPF error, we removed the DPF and surely enough it was hollow inside, so we replaced the DPF, and the EGR and the DPF pressure sensor. Now the van starts for a few seconds and its stops, no dash lights come up. I read the error codes and and another P244b and P0402 come up.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
Sorry for the delayed response, Been offline most of the day....
If you still need help with this, please post a reply and I'll be happy to help the best that I can...
Have you checked the engine compression and the injectors for excessive leakdown?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert,
we have done a leak off test, which none of the injectors had any leak.
I had a mobile mechanic do an electronic compression test, he showed that when start tge van cylinders 1 & 3 where sitting at a slight lower rpms than cylinder 2&4. He recommended that is ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read on the internet that the DPF sensor cable should be in a diagnal sloping down towards dpf, the mechanic that installed the DPF has the sensor cable stretched around dpf mounting arm and cable is almost bent 90 degrees where it connects to post dpf. I haven't tried changing it yet, but do u think that could be the issue why the ECM is showing a the fault P244b for the new DPF differential sensor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also want to tell u that, when we dissconnect the clamp which holds the catalytic converter(catalytic converter before the DPF), and DPF which allows the exhaust to escape before it enters the DPF, the van starts and runs(of course there is alot smoke coming out from there), but my point is that once we tighten the clamp to hol catalytic converter and DPF and try to start the van, van turns off automatically after a few seconds.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the dealyed response...
From everything that you have described so far I am beginning to lean towards an engine condition that is causing the DPF to plug up. When you release the exhaust clamp forward of the DPF and see all that smoke I suspect that is your problem. You should NEVER see a lot of smoke at this point. A large amount of soot such as this entering the DPF will plug it up in a hurry. I suspect that is why the previous owner had "Hollowed Out" the old DPF. When you tighten the exhaust clamp back up, the "Plugged" DPF is not allowing air to flow through the engine which in turn is shutting it down. This condition is likely also causing the P244B Code...
As for the "DPF Sensor Cable", I'm not certain which one you are referring to. If you can take a pic of this and post it here, I can let you know if this is a problem... (Not likely though)....
Engine problems that can cause rapid DPF plugging include excessive oil consumption, faulty injector delivery nozzles or dripping into the combustion chambers. Swirl valves that are stuck or coated with excessive oil and soot, low compression, etc....
Keep me posted and let me know if you have additional questions...
Thank you,
Robert
______________________________________
Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...
Please keep in mind, If you are not happy with your answer and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.
Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for your answer is GREATLY appreciated and is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...