Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

Ford au ute 5 speed: I have a Ford 12/2000 au 5 speed ute &

Customer Question

I have a Ford 12/2000 au 5 speed ute & when I change gear from 1st to 2nd it will not go into 2nd & from 3rd to 4th it will not go into 4th. Do I have a major problem & can I repair it myself, regard shaun.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shaun,I'd say you have a transmission issue.Can you select 2nd or 4th while stationary?Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, the car drives good in 1st,3rd & 5th gear but it doesn't go into 2nd or 4th,I thought there might be something lodged in the selectors
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, I cann't select 2nd & 4th gears while stationary with engine off or on.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shaun,If the car drives fine without any noise from the transmission, then I'd say there is an interlock problem within the carrier plate.Has this just recently happened without any warning?There is a chance there could be something going on with the shifter.Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes Gary, it happened without warning. Is this problem repairable by a novice or do I need a mechanic. Shaun
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shaun,If you are prepared to pull the shifter out, then you might find something.With the shifter out, the selector can maneuvered by hand with some other tool etc.Once you get the feel for how to select the odd gears, 1, 3, 5, then try 2 and 4.If can you select all gears, breath a sigh of relief.If you still can't select 2 or 4 then the fault is internal to the trans. Needs to be stripped down to find the issue.Then turn your attention to the shifter.Maybe a piece of the pivot ball has broken internally and limiting the shifter travel.Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that Gary, 1 last thing, do I remove the shifter/bolts from within the cab or under the car ?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shaun,I would do the whole lot from within the cabin from the top.No need to get under the car.Let me know how you go.Wishing you some good luck.Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just taken the consol out & it looks like I need to get under the car to undo the nuts to the frame that hold the gear stick in place. Shaun
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Ah yes, comes back to me now, just like VE Commodore.I hate that, you have to do some from underneath.Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no worries, thanks very much for input it might save me some money I hope. regards Shaun.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
All the best Shaun.Hope it is an easy fix for you.Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gary,how do I get steel plate that is attached to the top of the gearbox off ? It is round in shape & holds the shifter / sir clips in place below the rubber boot at the bottom of the shifter. Regards Shaun.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shaun,Yours has 4 bolts holding the whole assembly to the extension housing like this:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Au-5-Speed-Manual-Gearbox-/271915747883Just underdo the 4 bolts and whole lot pulls out.Let me know when you're done.Gary