Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

Mitsubishi Triton ML: My ML Triton V6 Petrol engine condition

Customer Question

My ML Triton V6 Petrol engine condition light is alluminated
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,First up you'll need to check the basics - engine oil level & coolant level. Possibly organise an engine service (oil & oil filter/air filter change) if one hasn't been done recently with a mechanic that has access to a code reader, if nothing appears amiss. This is assuming the engine is running fine otherwise.There's no common issues to report with this engine combination..I hope this is of assistance..CheersScott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle has just had its 90,000 km servicing at a Mitsubishi dealer and they could not find what the problem is.
The vehicle had the timing belt and water pump changed at the 75,000 km servicing.
The code reader said multiple cylinder misfire but the vehicle does not exhibit any of these systems, actually it performs fantisticly
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I have to ask, but maybe this is a question for the service centre - was the error code cleared after it was read? It may be an issue that has rectified itself, but the code remains to be cleared.
Other than that I'm searching for any unusual conditions like subject to high humidity or water, possibly through a steam clean etc.
It should largely be possible for the Mitsu dealer to locate the source of the error reading..
Cheers Again..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The error code was reset and within 20 km the light is back on. The engine area has not been steamed cleaned and the Mitshi dealer does not know what the problem is and does not know what to do, so they just sent me away.
I am not happy with their responce but the vehicle is out of warranty and they don't seem to care.
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.
The fault is most likely to be intermittent, triggering the error code which remains until cleared. The issue that the dealer, & any diagnostics will face is there's no certain path to correct it other than trial & error regarding replacing components, Possibly ignition coils in sequence. The good, or bad news is that it's likely to become more apparent under foot - & there's also the possibility, although more remotely that it will rectify itself over time. The engine condition light will remain illuminated until reset though.Sounds like you need a good independent Auto electrician or diagnostics mechanic to consult, as it's the sort of fault that will need chasing over time. In that regard you will find an independent business a fair bit cheaper than a dealer..Good Luck..Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a good auto engineer and he and his auto electrician have been doing some work on this.
WE are going to start with coils next and I have heard from another friend that it could be minute cracks in the inlet manifold.We will check this out.
I thought you mite have come across this problem before.
Thanks for your help and I will let you know when we have resolved the problem
Regards Ken
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.
Best of luck. It's certainly worthwhile to check the security/ seal of the intake side of the engine, but a cracked intake causing such an intermittent issue would be a new one on me. I'd be discounting the HT side of the ignition system first, & any vacuum & solenoid operated hardware like the EGR valve & throttle pos solenoid & sensor.Indeed, let me know how you go..CheersScott