Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

Hiace: , I have a 1988 Toyota Hiace Campervan with and LPG

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1988 Toyota Hiace Campervan with and LPG conversion. It's fine 90% of the time but it occasionally has this problem. While idling it seems to skip a beat every now and then, and then while driving it'll choke a bit and jump like it's not getting fuel propperly or something (i'm no mechanic!). Sometimes it'll loose a lot of power and really struggle accelerating. It does it both while in LPG and Petrol.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,I see your mechanic has gone over the ignition side of the engine - that would have been my first approach as well. I assume he has test driven it & noted a misfire. If it is still misfiring after a points/plugs/leads change, it may also be worthwhile to change the coil.Noting that it's still on mechanical points style ignition, for future reliability in the spark department, I'd be changing that to electronic ignition - you will receive far more reliable state of engine tune & easier starting in cold conditions if you do so..Any more questions please feel free to ask here..CheersScott