FSM09
FSM09, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master ASE Master
74859263

2004 Ford: I have a customers 2004 F350 6L Turbo that we have

Customer Question

I have a customers 2004 F350 6L Turbo that we have replaced the full engine harnesses and FICM. We have Ford IDS and have loaded all the latest updates.
The problem we are having is that when you are Decelerating you can hear the injectors buzz erratically. The truck drives fine and idles fine. there are no fault codes present.
It only happens when the truck gets to operating temp and is worse if the engine is in the higher rev range when you take your foot off the gas pedal.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  FSM09 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosingust answer. D you know what version of the IDS you are using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sorry I don't. I can check it out on Monday, but it was only purchased 11 months ago so It should be pretty much up to date.
Expert:  FSM09 replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. Do you know if this is a higher voltage aftermarket FICM or original?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a factory remanufactured FICM. We have been chasing this problem for some time hence replacing the harnerss and FICM. but it still does the same thing.
Expert:  FSM09 replied 1 year ago.
I just want to make sure. The vehicle operates fine the concern is the inkectors cycling while coasting? Is this correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes thats correct. They cycle erratically. if it was on acceleration it would sound like a multi cylinder missfire. it only happens after the truck is at operating temp and the higher rpm you are doing when you take your foot off the gas the worse it is.
Expert:  FSM09 replied 1 year ago.
There are a lot of different calibrations out for this engine. Every 6.0 you can hear injectors cycle while coasting. Depending on the calibration. When your coasting the there is no load on the engine you are going to hear the injectors cycle even louder then while driving. If the vehicle was misfiring while driving I would suspect something different. It almost sounds like a normal condition to me but I know you have done a lot of work. If I am missing something please let me know.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree you can hear the injectors when coasting but what we are getting is like the injectors are firing randomly. Its not uniform as it is when the engine is cold. It sounds like a bad miss fire with the injectors cutting in and out. as you pull up to a stop the injector sound is uniform again. It sounds like cylinders are being fired randomly and or the whole 8 are cutting in and out in one second burst's if that makes sense.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I own a mechanical repair business and have done for 30 years. This vehicle just has us at a loss and I'm hoping to find someone that has had a lot of experence on this particular vehicle that has come across this problem before. The owner has had the vehicle since new and this problem only started 6 months ago.
Expert:  FSM09 replied 1 year ago.
I can opt out of this question. Maybe someone else has a different answer for you.