sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Kia Optima SX: Good afternoon i have a kia optima 2011 and

Customer Question

Good afternoon i have a kia optima 2011 and the tail lights are not working. I have been told by my kia dealer its a junction box which needs replacing at $1500 does this sound correct
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

It's definitely possible that the junction block is causing the issue. There is a module in the junction block that controls the lighting and it's possible there is either an issue with the module or an open circuit on the circuit board inside the junction block.

The problem could also be wiring between the junction block and the lamps, but if all were lost at once then it's more likely to be the junction block. The wiring would definitely need to be tested for continuity and to make sure it isn't shorted to ground, which I'm assuming they did before recommending replacing the junction block. If the circuits are shorted to ground then the module will disable output on the circuits for self preservation.