Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

Dodge Coronet 440: HiI have a 1966 Dodge Coronet body &

Customer Question

Hi
I have a 1966 Dodge Coronet B body & I would like to fit sway bars front & rear, now my car does not currently have any sway bars fitted & it appears it never has.
What is involved in fitting sway bars, will an aftermarket "kit" fort his model just bolt straight on?
Thanks
Mike New Zealand
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.
H Mike, Depends on the kit, but usually, for the rear bar they're supplied with brackets on the chassis side that require a suitable hole to be drilled in the relevant rail. The same can also be welded to the rail. The attachment points on the axle are usually via u-bolts. The lower front arms probably don't have the attachment points either that are found on factory sway bar equipped (read later B body) cars. This will require either a donor pair of later lower arms, or for your arms to be modified with pick-up points.All this depends entirely on the kit.I would try to find a 'conversion kit' as opposed to a simple 'upsize' kit - you will receive the hardware to execute the conversion.In short, the only complication you are likely to have will be the lower front arm pickup points..I hope this clarifies!CheersScott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Scott I'm glad I asked as I new it didn't look right regarding the pick up points on the lower arms or lack of. I still want to do the mod but will do some more homework, what's a good site to look at this?
Thanks again $35 well spent. Mike☺
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Mike, I'm a bit out of the loop regarding website info on this - I simply have plenty of early Chrysler experience & have done precisely what you want on early A-bodies, which also came without front bar, & are architecturally the same as B-bodies. You may want to try 'Pentastar Parts & Restorations (Aka 'Mopar Market', Sydney based) for further info. They deal with B-bodies on & off & do plenty of parts importing into Oz..Have fun!CheersScott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cheers ***** ***** appreciate the help will get the brake upgrade I'm about to do and few other we jobs out of the way then have a go at the sway bars.
Thanks again. Mike
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.
all good - Cheers..