Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

A160: We have a Mercedes Benz A160 - 2000 model. The remote

Customer Question

We have a Mercedes Benz A160 - 2000 model. The remote locking doesn't work on the key and neither does the key in the doors so have to open the car via the boot. The car often battles to start with a 'start error' showing on the dashboard... not too sure how we can fix this?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
If the battery and battery cables have not been checked to see if any cables are found to be loose or corroded this needs done as well as the battery tested to see if it is weak needing replaced at all.Low voltage intermittently or all of the time will cause this issue.
I have also seen the electronic ignition switch itself fail in the past before and had to replace it for this fault.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not helpful at all. Car still doesn't start. Seems to have something to do with the 'start error" Not sure what
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
The electronic key itself will also cause this here.If it isn't sending the correct signal which can be very common on Mercedes this will occur and the key will need replaced.Usually the key needs ordered from a dealer and usually ships to you over night.
Thanks Pete