Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

Ford Fairlane: I have a 332 block and have got 40 thou oversized

Customer Question

I have a 332 block and have got 40 thou oversized 352 pistons can I use a 390 crank with these pistons
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background,and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time. The332, and 352 used the FE long rod, the 390 used a shorter rod. Thepistons wrist pin hole is located in a different place in the 352,piston than it is in the 332, because of the stroke difference. Soyou would have to deal with that if you use a 352 piston. The 390crank would potentially cause problems because of its increasedstroke over the 352, and the even shorter 332. A custom enginebuilder could possibly work through this. Balance, piston to crankclearance, compression height, and rod length would need to besetup/measured to try to make this combo work. The long rod wouldmake the piston come up out of the cylinder too far, the short rodwould likely make the piston hit the crank, with no guarantee thatthe piston would be in the right place at TDC. Careful measurements is key building custom internals like this. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am hereto help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer. I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces o rStars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.