Doug
Doug, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Factory trained technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Grandis: Mitsubishi Grandis 2.4 mivec has lost oil

Customer Question

Mitsubishi Grandis 2.4 mivec has lost oil pressuer. It went a while & missed a service. I have done 3 oil flushes as it was very dark even after the second. Oil light comes on & tappets start to rattle. Very little to no oil getting to the top. Ive also replaced the oil pressure switch
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately if you have reduced oil reaching the top of the engine, there is not going to be any cheap fix forthcoming.
Your only possible causes for low/no oil reaching the top of the engine will be:
Oil pump problem
Oil regulator valve problem (part of oil pump)
Blockage
Nothing else will be relevant, because the head should always receive pressure from the pump, there is nothing else external to cause it to come and go etc that could fail.
What I would be doing at this point would be to pull the timing belt off and check the oil pump gear to see if it has any difficulty turning. If it feels resistant you may be able to get away with changing the pump (provided the balance shaft bearings all look OK once the pump is removed etc), however you still will have to deal with the side effects of having run on low oil pressure which will generally mean heavy bottom end wear, not to mention the cams etc that have been starved.
If the pump feels nice and free, then you may consider replacing the regulator valve in the pump... though those are not common to fail really. At that point it is more likely to be blockage in the oil ways, which would require stripping and tanking the block to be sure to get them clear. For a cheaper attempt you could try running some engine cleaner though there (something for sludge etc), however that is no guarantee to fix anything as I'm sure you've figured out having run 3 flushes through it already... and again the same problem still will be underlying that you ran on low pressure and likely caused bearing wear anyway.
Unfortunately just about every path is going to end at the same place... at least some moderate disassembly is in your future and most likely an overhaul. It only takes a few minutes of running on low/no oil pressure to cause irreparable damage.