Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

Holden captiva: I have a 2007 7 seater diesel captiva

Customer Question

hi I have a 2007 7 seater diesel captiva bought it second hand 15 months ago i have a 3 year national warranty . I have the car serviced every 6 mths or 10000 km As i was driving last week it lost power . the overheating light came on so I pulled over let it cool down then started car up again drove 200 metres then lost power again . had it checked by RAC while car was still and it didnt overheat . RAC left I drove 200 metres and the car did the same thing again . called the RAC again they arranged a tow . Had it towed it to a repairer they have diognosed it as a faulty water pump . as they say the coolant isn't circulating . This they say will cost me $700 just to get to the water pump then whatever else it will cost to fix it . It will cost over a thousand dollars because the timing belt will have to be replaced because it is due for its replacement in another 10 000 ks
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hi I. Kevin how can I help I've read your info it's not clear what advise you need
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would like to know whether this diognosis is in fact the right one. According to what is happening . Also would like to know whether the holden captiva is known for this overheating. The car was reved up on the spot for quite sometime and it did not overheat .after that I drove the car 200 metres and the power went and the overheating light came on .Could there be a loose wire or something electrical wrong . also how much should this repair cost

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
The model in particular isn't any more common than any other vehicle to have this type of fault the symptoms you have do fit in with water pump failure normally what happens is the impeller goes live on water pump and when on idle the impeller turns with water pump but as soon as is under load ie driving it will go live causing car to overheat the price you have I would expect the timing belt to be included for that if so it sounds about right dependent on price of parts