Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

WilliamHow are you? My car is giving me a headache

Customer Question

Hi William
How are you? My car is giving me a headache
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My car is a 1991 Mazda 323 1.6L; 116000 KilometresThe car starts fine, and runs fine until its warm - anywhere between 10 - 20 min of driving. Once the car is warm, it begins to stumble intermittently, but does not die. If I continue driving the car, the stumbling continues intermittenly and increases in severity, and feels like a sharp jerk where the engine completely cuts out and then dies. I am able to restart the engine shortly after failure (seconds), and get another few hundred metres before the engine quits again. Essentially, once the stumbling begins, prolonged use causes the car to fail exponentially. I'm thinking it is a heat related/ignition problem, but not sure where to from here.I have replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor. The leads are good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and I should say, once the car cools, the whole process begins over again - I am able to drive the car until warm, and then repeat. The problem has a general predictability, as described above.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I suppose I might also notice a higher likelihood of stumbling if I'm drawing on the electrical system, particularly when:
The aircon is on
My blinkers are on
The lights are onIt sounds like the RPMs drop? Like the engine is running fine, and then when I engage one of the three listed above, the RPMs slow somewhat (I hear the engine sort of slow)Not sure if this is related to the overall issue, but thought I'd mention it
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Sounds like an ignition coil starting to fail when it gets hot.
Or could be the ignitor module inside the distributor.
I would replace the coil first.
Hope this helps.
Gary