Doug
Doug, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Factory trained technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Pajero: My son owns a Pajero io 1999 model 5 speed

Customer Question

My son owns a Pajero io 1999 model 5 speed manuel. Is there a 6 speed or a lower ratio gearbox available for this model?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately there is no transmission swap that would work here, you are pretty well stuck with what is there. Even the gears inside the transmission are specific to the IO and you can't swap in gears from another model like you can on the more common transmissions.
Your only real option here would be to have some gears made for it to your specification. There was a company making a kit for these a long while back that may be of use. Given the age I don't know if they are still doing anything like that or not, but you can certainly contact them to see if they are still doing them. The name of the company was Marks 4wd (www.marks4wd.com). They don't list anything like that on their site, but again that doesn't mean they don't still have the tooling for it or even would consider doing a one-off job for you as well.