Scott
Scott, Master Mechanic
Experience:  30 yrs experience with Aussie, Japanese & British cars
29644491

Camry: . and thanks. I have a 1992 Toyota Camry (branded

Customer Question

Hi. and thanks. I have a 1992 Toyota Camry (branded Holden Apollo). Went through some water and car died. Have had a second hand engine installed and the car still wont work. When the ignition key ios turned to aux the fuel pump kicks in and the only way to stop it is to disconnect the battery. The car wants to kick over but does not fire. Auto electrician stumped. What's your thoughts??
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Not the easiest to diagnose from here, but it sounds like there's an EFI control relay issue there.
If water has gone through the relay box, that should be replaced - same with fuse box. That may not be simple as much of the wiring loom will probably go with it. A full set of donor relays into the original sockets may be a way around that, checking the base for water/corrosion & maybe a squirt of WD40 down there.
It could also be a short at a main connector in the loom, caused by water, or an incorrect replacement of the loom when the engine was changed, but that would be difficult to make a mistake with.
Electrical issues after vehicle immersion can be really difficult to deal with - faults can appear in the future due to corrosion etc.
readily..
If you need any more information, let me know..
Cheers
Scott