internal88
internal88, BMW Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Automotive Engineering Degree and also work for an Automotive engineering company since 2003.
63512786

X5: What is the engine life expectancy of 2011 bmw x5 x30d?

Customer Question

What is the engine life expectancy of 2011 bmw x5 x30d? How many miles should the timing chain last? With regular bmw service and maintenance.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  internal88 replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Brandon - BMW TECH. The life expectancy for the 2011 BMW X5 X30d can be run over 200k miles easily. The engine is very reliable and durable if you do the recommended schedule service. The timing chain last until the life the vehicle. It does not require to be changed. I would highly recommend you to check out any outstanding recalls from BMW. You could call up BMW corporation or go the the nearest dealer to find out. There is one recall on certain BMW that BMW is recalling certain model year 2011, X5 Diesel Sports Activity Vehicles (SAV) manufactured from March 31, 2011, through May 19, 2011. Due to a component manufacturing error at the supplier, the welds in the belt tensioner could have incipient cracks. Over time, this could lead a malfunction of the belt tensioner.
Please rate me positive for the prompt service that I have provided. Than you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would you consider 86,000 miles on a 3.5 year old bmw x5 regularly serviced at bmw to be a lot of use? Is it normal to have to replace thetiming chain because of this use and wear and tear?

Hi Ane, 86k miles is above the average drivers. Average driving miles for 3.5 years is about 65 miles. I would not consider this vehicle to be a lot of use. It is not normal to have to replace the timing chain. You would only replace the chain when the metal chain is showing sign of stress or crack. Only timing belt is require to be changed at certain mileage. In this case, your vehicle is equipped with metal timing chain therefore no need to replace the timing chain.

Please rate me positive for the prompt service. Thank you!