sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Liberty: My 2011 Jeep Liberty with 29000 miles is running

Customer Question

My 2011 Jeep Liberty with 29000 miles is running with high RPM's, and is lurching when shifting gears. I am nervous about what is wrong and whether it is under warranty.can I drive it?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if the transmission is in limp in. If it goes into gear hard and RPM's are high then most likely you have only second gear. When the trans controller sees an issue that can cause damage or it doesn't have complete control it will lock you in second gear.

There are quite a few things that will cause limp in ranging from internal trans issues, solenoids and pressure switches, speed sensors, the range sensor, wiring, the TIPM, and the trans controller itself.

The first thing that will need to be done is see what fault codes are setting in the TCM.

In the mean time it can be driven but you'll need to keep speeds down to keep engine RPM at a safe level.