Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

Focus: my 2002 ford focus stops every so often as I am driving

Customer Question

my 2002 ford focus stops every so often as I am driving along. If I pull over to the side of the road , the vehical restarts again and I can drive for a little while longer. If it does not conk out , it dies back as if the brakes have been applied. I have been told that this could be a fuse problem. please help
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
One of the most common causes for this fault here is the crank position sensor itself,It sends out the engine rpm signal and this signal can intermittently drop out when the sensor acts up.In some cases the engine may restart right away and in other cases it may need to sit a period of time before it restarts.In most cases this won't cause a fault code to set which can make it difficult to diagnose.Usually with a scan tool plugged into the vehicle you can monitor the engine rpm signal and if there is no rpm signal when cranking over the engine or when it starts to stall out this indicates this sensor is faulty.I suspect this is the cause here needing replaced.
If this was a fuse issue the engine wouldn't start back up without replacing the fuse first so I don't see this as the cause.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Peter your service was good however as to weather it was the right advise will only be proven when the part is replaced I have put out a lot of money on other advise which had no effect on the motor
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If you can get the vehicle to act up and plug in a scan tool to monitor the engine rpm this will help as usually when cranking over with a good crank sensor you will see an rpm signal but with a faulty crank sensor no rpm signal will be seen on the scan tools data list.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Peter as I said in my last response I will not know whether your advise is correct or not and wll not know untlll the part is replaced as I said your service was prompt but was it right
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,no problem.Let me know how this turns out here and if you need anything else when your ready to reply.
Thanks Pete