sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Mazda fanilia: I have aproblem with my transmission can't return

Customer Question

I have aproblem with my transmission can't return to first gear and onhold light flash an when I turn off an start again it back to the first gear an jump over to the third gear an onhold light flash can't manual shift no change until I turn the car off an start again.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer!
It sounds as if the transmission is going into limp in. When the trans controller sees and issue it thinks could cause damage or it doesn't have complete control it will prevent normal up and downshifting.
The problem could be quite a few things ranging from an internal trans issue, the controller itself, wiring, speed sensors, solenoids and pressure switches.
The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool to see what fault codes are setting, and electrical testing may need to be done from there.