Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

Volvo XC90: AndyI have a 2006 XC90 diesel (UK model now

Customer Question

Hi Andy
I have a 2006 XC90 diesel (UK model now in Australia). Power steering is very heavy at low speed or when stationary. Tyres are in good condition and correct pressures, no power steering leaks, steering fluid is new and correct grade, drive and timing belts are new. As soon as the car is moving the steering gets lighter however the steering is heavier when turning to the right. Hope you can help me out with this.
regards Gerry
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Power assistance or lack of it remains the same irrespective of engine speed.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
From what you have described here this sounds like the power steering gear/rack and pinion gear is the cause here.I have seen the gear fail in the past before and had to replace it for this issue here.I would have this tested further to see if for sure this is the cause here and replaced as needed.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete
Thanks for your response, I am still a bit puzzled though. Is there a speed or position sensor linked to the power steering that is malfunctioning or out of adjustment? How does the system know when to provide assistance, because as soon as the vehicle is moving then there is assistance. Regards Gerry
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay.
If there is assistance when the vehicle is moving this can indicate more pressure from the power steering pump is present allowing assistance.In this case this sounds more like a fault with the power steering pump itself.I have seen the pump fail before in the past and had to replace it for low pressure issues until the engine is revved up then the pressure increases.I suspect this is your pump at fault and not the rack and pinion steering gear.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi PeteI apologise for the delay. Thank you for your response. You have mentioned that you think that the fault is in the pump and pressure is low until engine revs increase but I did write initially that the power steering assistance remains the same irrespective of the engine speed. There is only assistance once the vehicle is moving, even at the slowest of speeds.
Thank you for your help regards Gerry.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
The power steering pump can still cause this fault here.The reason there is assistance when the vehicle is moving is the tires are rotating then and it can be turned easier.The pump pressure does sound low here and is most common.The only way to be sure is to have the pump pressure tested to see if it is the cause here and then the pump replaced.I suspect you will see the pump is at fault needing replaced here.
Thanks Pete