Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

Holden Astra Bertone Convertible: I have a Holden Astra Convertible

Customer Question

I have a Holden Astra Convertible (2005) and the car beeps when the door lock is pressed remotely. In addition, the roof now fails to open (I suspect the problem is related). Is there a relatively simple method of correcting this problem.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Neil,
I know of may faults with Astra folding roof.
Yes the two will be related.
Very difficult for a non-Holden trained person to fix.
Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gary:It is my understanding that the roof and entry condition can be reset via shorting two terminal points in a terminal panel immediately below the emergency brake. If this is the case, can you advise the appropriate procedure. As the car is fairly old and resale is now minimal, I am willing to risk such a venture.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Neil,
The terminal panel you are referring to under the handbrake panel is the DLC (diagnostic link connector) or ALDL (assembly line diagnostic link). As far as shorting to terminals together as a roof reset is concerned, I highly doubt it. I would be using a GM Tech2 to check the roof module for DTCs. I'd bet you have a broken front latch, (the left hand latch has a switch for fully home, end of closure sequence), or broken wiring in the hand hand c pillar area, (very common), or any of many other little concerns with the electrics of the roof.
If the roof is closed now, can you move the front of the roof near the windscreen, as if it is not fully latched?
Do the windows drop normally to allow you to open the doors?
Gary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The roof is closed and the latches are fully closed (tight on both sides). The windows drop normally as expected when entering the vehicle. I had the roof repaired about 18 months ago and only had it down once (about 17 months ago). The beeping when unlocking started shortly thereafter and the roof mechanism not responded since.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Neil,
Is the luggage blind pulled out and fitted where it should go in the boot?
Does the handbrake warning lamp work?
The roof is definitely is an "unknown state", in other words the module doesn't know where everything is because the status of all the switches does not meet position criteria.
I have many faults with soft and hardtop Astra. It would be worthwhile getting a Holden tech to run a diagnostic check of your vehicle.