Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

Drove the car twenty miles turned it off ten minutes later

Customer Question

Drove the car twenty miles turned it off ten minutes later it wouldn't start battery is good
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be the ignition switch, it's very worn and the key comes out in the on position
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, sorry to hear about your troubles. Do you still need assistance with this?If so, can you please tell me what year and model your car is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1998 Subaru outback
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks for the info.Does the engine crank and not start or no cranking at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing not even a click but all the lights and stero come on.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, is the car an automatic or manual?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Automatic
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, please put the car in neutral and try to start it. Also, check and make sure it goes into all the gears, like key on put it in reverse and check and make sure the backup lights come on and let me know.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Went into all gears lights come on blinkers work brake lights work
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, since there isn't any sounds at all when you try to start it, I would suspect the issue to be the neutral safety switch. I do not think it's the ignition switch simply because the key is worn. If your interior stuff like the blower, radio and things that use the ignition switch work, then I don't thing the key would be the factor here. If you have a test light we can do a little testing to be sure the ignition switch is ok otherwise, I suspect you are going to have to replace the switch on the side of the transmission.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't have a testing light, is there anything else i can check? and how hard is it to get to the neutral safety switch
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Under the hood in the main fuse box look for SBF4, this provides power to the igntion switch in the start position, so try swapping it with one of the other and see if it will crank. This is a square clear topped fusible link, if it's blown she won't crank.The switch isn't to bad to get to but you have to get under it. It would be on the driver side of the transmission if your in Austrailia, you can see it from under the hood, but can't really work on it unless you are under the car.The shift cable is hooked to it, so if you can see the shift cable you should be able to get an eye on it at least from above.What happens next:Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.