Doug
Doug, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Factory trained technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Outlander ZG VR: Doug, Bob here in Albury Australia.

Customer Question

Hi Doug, Bob here in Albury Australia. I have the same sort of issue with no radio display, or interior lights on a Mits Outlander ZG All fuses seem OK, and I checked the IOD fuse (#30) all OK?
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
email is *****@******.***
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bob,Do you have power on the fuse socket for the IOD?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a multimeter ..never used it. Do I put a probe on a ground and one on one side of the kid socket?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As it's 0700am here what are my next steps if I do or don't have power to the iod?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Set your meter to DC volts, attach one lead to ground, then take the other lead and probe in the socket for the fuse. You should see 12V. You can also do this with the fuse installed, and touch the lead to the metal tabs on top of the fuse (the first lead still to ground). You should see 12V on both tabs.If you do not... then you need to check your main fusible links (The "big" fuses) and your connections between the battery and the fuse panel, as there would be nothing else to consider.If you do have power there and testing on the fuse shows 12V on both tabs on top, then you would expect a break in the wiring somewhere beyond that point (no individual component failure, since you are missing multiple unrelated items, the radio and interior lighting). More likely than not you are probably going to find a bad connection in the fuse socket or the fuse just slightly fractured causing it to look OK but not be any good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Doug, I'll go down and test shortly...don't want to wake wife up at 7am Sunday morning! I'll get back to you later, I'll try a new iod fuse as well just in case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BTW the radio itself works, just no display
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Oh okay.... if the radio itself works but the display is no good, that is less likely to be fuse related. The interior lighting however would still be reason to suspect the fuse.In the instance of the display not working, this is pretty well inclusive to the panel... if the controls are working so you can operate the radio then you know the power is good to the display panel, and your only real suspects here would be the panel itself.What I would do would be to check your connections on the panel first before thinking about replacing it though. If you pry behind the vents on either side of the radio they will pop out and then the panel is accessible (it might have two philips screws on the bottom corners) to pop out. The connectors should be checked for tightness, but also look for a small ribbon cable back there too to be damaged. Ifeverything looks ok, then odds are it will be time for a new display panel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dealer says new display panel is $1100!
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Yeah that's not going to happen! You should be able to find them used on ebay for $50-100 usually, depending on which one you have. $1100 is criminal for that!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doug, 12v to IOD both sides, same on the internal light fuse #9
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.What exact lights are you experiencing issues with, just so I am understanding correctly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Prodied some plugs and a strange display came up, still no lights
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
oh wow that is different!Is that your only issue, what is in the photo (I may have misinterpreted earlier you were having issues with non-radio lighting)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No interior lights...roof lamps...reading lamps...none working. The strange display doesn't change if I try other settings on radio....no clock for example
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Oh okay, that is what I was thinking, but I was unsure.Did anything noteworthy happen prior to this condition forming (with the lights specifically.... the radio should simply be a bad panel based on the photo)? For example was anything added or removed from the vehicle, any parts replaced like the fuse panel or anything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing has been done. The radio display problem was noticed when I purchased the car a few weeks ago. No one noticed the interior light problem when they said I needed a new display unit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any interface between the light and radio display circuits on this model (2009 ZG VR V6 Outlander)
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
The control panel incorporates all of the controls for the radio internally and just sends signal to the radio telling it what to do. There are three wires that carry data between the control panel and the radio to get the job done.Knowing that the clock isn't even displaying though, you have really nothing to expect but a control panel failure honestly. The clock should operate independently of the radio, so if you turned the radio off the clock would show up. If it does not.... that's just a bad panel, nothing else will cause that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The radio problem is not a showstopper but I need to fix the lights
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
And your lights specifically.... the dome lights? Or the dash lighting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dash lights ok....just dome and map/reading lights
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.Can we verify fuses #5 (10A) and #9 (15A) in the in-dash fuse panel are both good and have power?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Continuity and power both fuses good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checkled globes....ok
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Hmm. That's not good.Looking at the fuse panel you'll see a LOT of electrical connectors there. Go over all of them and check for a loose connection (somewhat common for some reason).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pushed and jiggled all plugs....no lights.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I checked continuity from fuse to light?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
That's not likely to be an issue here, as each individual light has its own path from the fuse panel. It isn't like older cars where you have a hot wire that runs to all the lighting.If you wanted to though, the primary being the front dome light you would want to pull the over head light console out and you will find a three wire connector there. The black wire is ground and does not change. The other two wires go to the ETACS (fuse panel). On the ETACS there is a six pin connector, oriented with the top row having one pin, a gap, then a second pin; the bottom row having pins 3-4-5-6. The wires on pins 5 and 6 will match those of the dome light. If you have continuity on them, then with the fuses all ruled out, the ETACS is at fault and would require replacement.Again with the dome light, the luggage compartment light, the vanity lights etc all having dedicated runs, a wiring problem is highly unlikely though as you would have to have a problem on all of them to cause none to work. It is more likely the ETACS has a problem. And considering that the radio display has a very abnormal failure as well, I would suspect that the vehicle probably underwent some sort of trauma... reverse polarity jump start, some water intrusion, close proximity lightning strike, etc. Those are two very odd failures to have together.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have power at the end of the plug going into the reading lights. Also I noticed the light flashed on as I pulled the assembly out?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Which pin has power?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both outside pins
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
On the front dome lamp? The black wire on pin 1 should be grounded.... or do you mean measuring between the outer two pins you have power, not that each one has power individually?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get any reading at all now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One side of the front reading light is no working.....looks like wire loose somewhere
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One side of the front reading light is now working.....looks like wire loose somewhere
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The central interior dome and one side of the front reading lights remain not working. Next stop autoeletrician?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I'm having a hard time visualizing what you are seeing. The dome has single inputs to operate the lights regardless of door operation or switch operation, they just change depending on switch position. Are you seeing switch operation working and not door?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Switch operation one passenger side globe only
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
And if you swap globes around?