Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

Ford BA Falcon: my boot seems to randomly unlock itself

Customer Question

Hi my boot seems to randomly unlock itself when I'm driving
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
From what you have described here this sounds like an internal mechanical fault with the boot latch itself.I have seen this latch fail before several times in the past and had to replace it on several models.This will need to be tested further to be sure this is the cause here and replaced if found to be the fault.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank Pete, are you able to suggest a way of testing the actuator to see if it is indeed the problem?

They are easy enough to remove and I have adequate tools to test the equipment

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Pete - please read my last question as you've so far told me very little of use other than the only component I didn't test independently is likely the fault - see if you can provide me some guidance to test this as per my last

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay as I was off line the last few days.
Unfortunately I don't have the diagrams or test procedures for this vehicle here on this actuator.Usually it is a two wire actuator with power and ground alternating to it to lock and unlock it.
If you would prefer I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this just let me know if this is something you would like to do.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
G'day Pete
The actuator is a 2 wire version and the system is unlock only.
The actuator is a component of the latch system as a whole, the latch itself holds with no concern (of course unless the actuator functions then it is unlocked).
The latch can be openned without the actuator (ie I have disconnected the wires) by use of a manual over ride cord in the boot (this is accessed through the cabin by droppinbg the rear seat back).
Are you able to open this up to other personnel who may know the system better and may have the test procedure or workshop manual guidance on the fault - this is a common fault apparently but the answer seems to be eluding me?
Thankyou
Brett
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll give you the.chance to answer my question but am getting annoyed at having to always refer you to read my responses. At present I'm not satisfied with the service provided. ?????
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I will have to open this question up for others here to see if they can assist further on this as someone else here may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it. Thanks Pete