peterpete190
peterpete190, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

C200 CDI: We have a 2008 C200 CDI w204 WDD2040072A116157 has

Customer Question

We have a 2008 C200 CDI w204 WDD2040072A116157 has been on the MB diagnostic unit to check out a rear indicator problem it flashes 2-3 times and changes to emergency top tail light bulb front is normal diagnoses said the problem was in rear Sam it was replaced with a S/H unit of the right part number but the same result an other fault rear seat belt not connected with nobody in the rear seats, do's sam require a reset or reprogram? we have just purchased this car and have no history but someone has done a micky and swapped the wires to the indicators to make it flash amber I have changed the wires back to the right configuration.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 10 months ago.

I'm Rachel, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Rachel

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Rachel,
why did a pop up showing a MB trained diagnostic Tech waiting just pay your money and he would get right on to it, I am not happy the least one could do is state it is beyond him and pas it on to someone that might have an answer but just to leave one guessing with no contact is not good enough in my view, if you read my feed back you will note it is New Zealand, If I had found an answer I would be looking for a refund please continue but I would appreciate some feed back as to what is happening.

Best Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  peterpete190 replied 10 months ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The rear sam can cause this issue here with the lights but if you only installed it and it wasn't coded and programmed using a dealers sds machine then the sam wont operate properly in your vehicle here.If this is the case this sam needs to be coded and programmed and then the operation re checked to see if this corrects the fault.

I have also seen where the incorrect wattage bulb installed will cause this as well as the socket/circuit board the bulb seats into.If these were not checked this needs checked into to see if any of these are at fault here.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have tried this before but with no response asked the lights stay on hid head lights is this normal while engine is running and again we have not got back to SDS as yet, Regards Lance.

Was the sam coded/programmed at all with the sds machine?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

As explained not as yet today or tomorrow with any luck at all (should the head light be on all the time the engine is running) that is the question?, or is this part of a sam problem. I have a dealer appointment for Wednesday if the first one cannot fix it told the Auto electrician after checking and said sam was the problem the dealer when asked did not know if a replacement would need reprograming I have passed your response on, what about our heater flap issue. Regards Lance

I don't know the regulations of where you are located on vehicle lighting but these vehicles will and can illuminate the low beams for auto headlights or day time running lights with the engine running and light switch off so this sounds to be normal although if the sam is not coded at all or coded properly this can cause an issue like this here if these are suppose to remain off.My thinking is these should be on with the engine running like this here.

I have seen the stepper motors that control the heater/ac flaps fail as well on some models the plastic arm that attached from the stepper motor to the flap break or crack and cause an issue.This would need to be inspected to see if this is the case and either the stepper motor replaced and the system re calibrated with a dealers sds machine after words or the cracked/broken attachment arm replaced.

Thanks Pete
peterpete190, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience: Over 15 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

This program is not working it will not go past C another words you can not enter New Zealand

Has the shop/dealer tried to contact Mercedes support to see if they can assist with it not working as usually they can help with the programming with this type of issue here?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Sorry Pete this is a problem with Just Answer program when asked for a country and the system has to have a country to continue I put in Australia, but after 4-5 emails Just answer has still not got the massage and have put it up as a car fault how stupid is that I have asked the question can any one in just answer read I have had enough and about to pull the pin Cheers Lance.

I did ask, do I have to pull the heater to remove the stepper motor on the back of the heater.

Which stepper motor are you trying to gain access to here?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The back one( Back) next to the fire wall, Have you the email re our SAM on the w204? and the 5 hours in NB Dealer workshop sent around 7 pm

NZ time Cheers Lance.

I didn't receive anything around 7 pm on this here.

Can you tell me the name of this stepper motor (temp control drivers or passengers,mode,etc.)?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

we certainly have a problem half of the reply are not getting to you, firstly sam has been checked second MB dealer and re set coded, wires checked bulb holders swapped and 5 hours later still not working and have run out of ideas' it will work without bringing up a fault with 2 21w bulbs in series all voltage's checked into and out of sam earths checked

Re heater W203
I can not tell witch one the noise is coming from the back of the heater towards the middle of the dash I have only looked up from the bottom Regards lance.

This may be a wiring fault from the sam to the lights.This is a possibility here as well.It is difficult to say for sure from here of course without seeing and checking the vehicle.

Can you tell me if it makes noise or stops making noise if you switch hot to cold for either side or switch mode operation?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

They pulled the loom and said their was no sign of and damage, checked continuity but not meggred this would require a complete separation of the wires or it could let the smoke out of sam,within the next hour I will run a jumper wire using push on piggy back clips from sam to the bulb holders this will prove if their is a problem but they state that has been checked. This could still be a sam problem but their 15 year UK tech has stated that has not seen this problem before in NZ and not in MB NZ darter base but most unlikely two units with the same problem.

re Heater it stopped clicking after changing the mode Cheers lance

O.k.,I have been trying to locate info on these stepper motors for your model vehicle here but unfortunately the info I have on these doesn't list these for this vehicle.I wish I had more info on these stepper motors here.

You might try and repost the stepper motor question as a new question here to see if anyone else has info on the stepper motor locations as well as replacement procedures.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Re indicator
Jumpers around the loom did nothing for it same, same, I have noted that it flashes the first flash with top tail and indicator then 3 on indicator then back to top tail light bulb this could be what sam is seeing 2 bulbs witch would make some sense of the SDS showing up as a short in the wires but both sam are the same, this 2 bulb thing has only become obvious with the bulb cluster exposed on the boot floor and someone turning it on and off. Regards Lance

To be sure I am hearing this correctly are you saying it flashes the correct light first then defaults to the other bulbs?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes Pete as described 8 days ago if read the first request you will see it noted as part of the problem, I have put out a request for a price on a new rear sam and returning the s/h unit as it has come up with obvious Fault it flashes LHS 4 times but will not default to tail light bulb now. running on original SAM.

FYI The head lights are now off it is controlled from the steering wheel buttons.

Were the grounds ever checked to make sure there is sufficient ground for the lights?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Noted in my reply to you on the 23 as checked !!. regards lance

O.k.,this is a difficult question here on this vehicle with what is acting up and with what has been done already.I will have to open this question back up to others to see if they can assist more with this here as someone else here may have more ideas of what may be at fault.

I will opt out and put this question back on the list to see if others can help more.Don't reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep the question locked to me.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.

Thanks Pete
I’m Rachel, and I’m moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing  assistance from another one of the professionals? 

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Rachel 
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No you can x it off the list please as I have ordered new parts that I think will sort the problem. I have not learned any thing new of any use from this program just wearing my fingers out responding to question that have been answered if you look you will see just going round in circles. regards lance.