jeffrey590
jeffrey590, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician , Saab Master Technician w/ 35 years Dealer Experience in Advanced Level Diag.
11029438

Chrysler 300 C SRT8: I bought a new Chrysler 300 SRT 6.4V8.

Customer Question

I bought a new Chrysler 300 SRT 6.4V8. At 80 kilometres MIL warning light came on. Took back to dealer. Tested on computer and said either sensor or wrong oil (viscosity). Dealer changed oil and said OK. MIL still came on. Car stalled three times. Twice when stopped at traffic lights and once while doing low speed left hand turn. Lost all power, steering and brakes. Dangerous. Engine "flat-spots"/stalls three times when accelerating firmly. Twice at 60 klm/hr and once at 100 klm/hr. Pulled over and stopped. Engine will not rev beyond 3500rpm when in "Park".
Car back at dealers. They have changed sensor, road test failed again. MIL came on. Dealer "carried out a number of wiring tests but found no fault." Yesterday began checking timing between camshaft and crankshaft. They say problem is related to camshaft position.
Car has been with dealer for one week to get to this point.

'
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  jeffrey590 replied 11 months ago.

Greetings JACUSTOMER, First let me say I am sorry you have to deal with such problems on a brand new vehicle. Besides being extremely dangerous it is supposed to be a happy experience driving a brand new car and obviously you are frustrated (I know I certainly would be!).

With that said, when the check engine light comes on, the computer will store one or more fault codes that aid us as technicians in finding and isolating the problem in a timely fashion. It sounds like this dealer is a bit confused with the chain of events you have described to me. If you can obtain the fault codes that are stored from this dealer and post them so I can read them , I am sure I can diagnose the problem for you. I don't want to make any more work for you than necessary mind you. But without these codes there are any number of faults that can cause your symptoms. If this is agreeable to you, please respond and I will be more than happy to help you. Again I am sorry for your dilemma. Thank you, Jeffrey

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I had to leave my computer and attend to other matters. Did you receive my reply?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Looks like maybe my first reply didn't go through.

I said I will have to get the codes from the dealer's service department tomorrow as they are closed today - assuming they are happy and willing to do that? Will forward to you as soon as I receive them from the dealer.

Greetings Simon, I didn't receive your first reply...but I have received the second one. If the dealer has a problem supplying you with the codes, a quqick call to Customer Service at the manufacturer should change their minds. Remember...this is a new car and you shouldn't have to deal with this. If need be we have additional services on this site which may help...such as phone one on one with customer, dealer and even the technician. If I can assist further I will be most happy to. Thank you, Jeffrey
jeffrey590, ASE Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician , Saab Master Technician w/ 35 years Dealer Experience in Advanced Level Diag.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hello Again, hope you are there?

Spoke to the dealer today and got the codes.

POO16

CZM/CVZUK- (could be CRZUK)

Misalignment - out of signc

They were pretty upset that I had made contact with Chrysler experts in the USA. Had a meeting with the General Sales Manager here in Melbourne who immediately asked his staff how come a customer is talking to Chrysler experts in the States and they haven't!!!

Saw my car in the workshop with nothing happening and no-one seems to know what's going on.

Anyway, this is not your issue but a very poor effort by the dealer as Chryslers main representative in Melbourne. I have a great deal of respect for American people and American technology, so maybe Chrysler needs to look at who is looking after their interests over here.

Hello Again Simon, P0016 has to do with the relationship between the crankshaft and the camshaft timing. There was a Technical Service Bulletin up until 2012 to repair this problem. Specifics are kind of vague, but it involved reprogramming of the Powertrain Control Unit on some vehicles. Other causes can be a faulty crank sensor, faulty cam sensor, open or short in circuitry wiring, or the oil viscosity (which you say they already did). I have attaché a link you may want to copy and show them .Hope this helps. Thank you, Jeffrey

http://engine-codes.com/p0016_chrysler.html

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hello Jeffrey590,

I had a call from the dealer today to say they had bled the Variable Valve Timing Solenoid and the "concern did not re-occur." They said they have done this three times previously but the road test was fine.

What does this mean please? I have not yet seen or road tested the vehicle.

Hello Simon, The variable VTS is used to alter the cam timing depending on driving conditions to provide optimal performance and fuel economy. Bleeding it would indicate air trapped in the system causing improper operation. If this VTS is the issue it could set the code and have the symptoms you describe. I would recommend leaving the vehicle another day or so and having them drive it to be sure it has been repaired. If so, then I would make sure the VTS is not in need of replacement. It should not have to be bled more than once, in my opinion. If I can assist further I will be happy to help. Thank you, Jeffrey
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Customer Satisfaction and an Excellent Rating are my #1 goals. I would also value having you as a regular customer. Anything else you need I am here to assist you

Let me know,
Jeff
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hello Jeffrey.

Yes thankyou your answer was a great help and provided me with enough technical information to hold the dealer to account and ask awkward questions. The variable VTS should have been bled properly the first time as you described. The car has now been fixed and test driven successfully. I did approximately 600 klm over the weekend across different terrain and really put the car through it's paces. Without being stupid I undertook some high speed overtaking manoeuvres, vigorous acceleration from a resting position, drove for long periods on cruise control, and drove along some twisting mountainous roads requiring frequent acceleration and braking. The car performed perfectly without a hitch. I was very impressed.

I think this issue exposed a weakness within the dealers service department and I understand they have taken action to remedy this employing two new technicians.

Thankyou for your help. I am a very satisfied customer and gave you the highest rating on the survey.

Best Regards, Simon