Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,

Volvo S60: I own a volvo s60 2003. I noticed recently that

I own a volvo s60 2003. I noticed recently that it vibrates while accelerating on an uphill incline at around 80kph. It's more like the car is running over cat's eye reflectors on the motorway. The steering wheel doesn't seem to be affected so I don't think it has something to do with the front wheels. More like the vibration is coming from the rear wheels. The vibration disappears when I let my foot off the gas pedal or when the road starts to level off or starts to descend.

I'd start by checking for worn mountings - check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber.Also check the tightness of the mounts bolts

if this seems OK then check for worn suspension joints - jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault. If theres play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.

Now with the car jacked up on that side with the wheel about 2 inches off the ground use a steel bar under the wheel and lever the wheel up and down slightly, you should be able to look at the end of the axle and see if the suspension arm is moving up and down separately to the axle.If so replace the bush