Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.

Ford Territory: Hi , I have 2005 tx ford territory awd 4 speed

Hi , I have 2005 tx ford territory awd 4 speed auto. When it warms up, especially if I have been towing a trailer or caravan there is a whistling noise coming from the engine/gearbox area. The noise doesn't alter with speed or engine revs and it doesn't matter what gear I am in either. The vehicle has done about 230,000k's

Thank you
Would the noise occur at idle? Would it occur if you slipped the transmission into N?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the noise occurs at idle and even if I slip it into N

Can it be heard at say 60km/h with windows up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes and it is so loud that pedestrians can hear it.

This is noise is from the fuel pump. It is due to the fuel pump cavitating. The only way to fix this is have the fuel pump unit replaced. The new units are revised to stop this cavitating. The fuel tank will need to be removed to replace the pump.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. Thanks for that. I will have to wait until the weekend to have a look.

No problem at all. Be sure to only replace with a genuine pump.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Curtis

Saturday Midday and have just taken the car for a test drive after fitting a new fuel pump and inline filter. Unfortunately the whistling noise is still there and just the same.

Did you fit the pump alone or the whole unit incased in the white housing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it was the whole unit compete with white housing and fuel level float. The old one was quite orange and brittle so it needed replacing anyway. I also replaced the metal inline fuel filter as the old one looked as though it had been on for some time.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Curtis

I think I have found what the noise is. There are a couple of vacuum lines at the left hand rear of the engine and it would appear that this is where the noise is coming from. Anyway I will have to remove the air intake and have a closer look at it all.

You can pin point it using carby cleaner to narrow down the leak.