Glenn Bradley
Glenn Bradley, Australian Car Mechanic
Experience:  Ex Transmission Shop Owner, Driveline Specialist, 30+ years in the Australian Automotive Industry

Nissan/Datsun pintara my nissan pintara ti 1989 2.4 ltre with

my nissan pintara ti 1989 2.4 ltre with vicous lsd auto has gone into limp mode .i changed out the ecu from another pintara and iniatally it made no difference , then one day maybe 4 days after it starting changing gears fine , kick down etc all good . i thought problem fixed so changed oil and kept driving. for some very annoying reason it went back into limp mode today no kick down and not changing into o/drive starting off in what appears to be 2or 3 gear. you can override this by manually putting select in low and then changing up to 2nd but that is it . i have a manual on this vehicle and have done almost all the checks suggested with multimeter etc ,i can not perform self dianostics as the light in the gear shift lever does appear to work i have checked bulbs etc all good .when the vehicle was working ok the gear box was fine smooth kick down good so iam at a wicks end as what to try now ,any suggesttions much appreciated ps would nissan sevice centre have someting they could plug to car to fault find the issue.?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Glenn Bradley replied 5 years ago.

Hi, it’s Glenn here. I can help you with your question.

As you probably already know, the TCM (transmission computer) gets signals from the gear lever position switch, the coolant temp sensors, the vehicle speed sensor and the throttle position sensor, which signal the computer that shifts solenoids inside the transmission to shift the gears. If one of these signals is missing then you will have a limp mode condition.

Your starting point really is a fault code read of the TCM, I'm thinking that you may have an intermittent fault with the gear lever position (inhibitor) switch, that may explain no light in the gear shift lever.

Yes a Nissan dealer does have the gear to plug in but a transmission specialist would be my recommendation, and I would suggest using a member of the Automatic Transmission Rebuilders of Australasia (ATRA). ATRA is a division of the Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers (IAME) and brings together a professional highly skilled and dedicated group of Transmission Repairers in Australia and New Zealand. Go to: & click on member lists to find someone close to you.

Don't forget that if you have any more questions or you are unsure of what I mean in the information provided please ask for more clarification, I'm only too happy to work with you to achieve a good result. Cheers Glenn.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what if anything can i do to pin point the inhibitor as the problem as i have already pulled it of and cleaned it and checked its positionong which all checked out as fine ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is there some sort of a reset that can be performed that puts everything back to default cancelling limp mode
As far as the inhibitor switch goes they are a throw away part, but I'm not suggesting you just replace it without first doing a code read to confirm.

Every time you cycle the ignition that resets the transmission computer, and if all the inputs are ok then limp mode is canceled.

Cheers Glenn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
glen could the problem be in the computers or do you think mainly in the feed back from inhibitor , because with out actualing traveling or moving car all feed back in regards XXXXX XXXXX sensors throtle position sensors etc would have to be discounted dont you think if it starts in limp mode, could there be maybe an issue with somethink like a faulty feed back in the temp sender or line oil pressure solidnoids,as it was fine this is a frustrating issue as iam in two minds of thinking to take the auto out and replace with manual iam doing this vehicle up for my daughter who will be due to get her licence in about 10 months, i already have bought paint and have car rubbed back so iam committed to making this work your final report or suuggsttions in regards XXXXX XXXXX or what u would do. thank u
If it's in limp mode without moving it doesn't necessarily eliminate the speed sensor and temp sensors as they could be open circuit, shorted or intermittent. The fault may be the inhibitor or even the TPS. In my experience the computers are sturdy and don't fail often. The same goes for transmission solenoids, they don't have a high failure rate either.

A quick code read won't cost much and will help you make a decision and steer you down an accurate path for diagnosis, otherwise it's just guesswork. I've seen plenty of home mechanics change out transmissions when an $80 switch/sensor is all that was needed.

Cheers Glenn