Glenn Bradley
Glenn Bradley, Australian Car Mechanic
Experience:  Ex Transmission Shop Owner, Driveline Specialist, 30+ years in the Australian Automotive Industry
34315307

Ford Ford Hi I have a 2006 Ford Territory 2WD auto. I have

Hi I have a 2006 Ford Territory 2WD auto. I have never been happy with the transmission as it is 'clunky' and sometimes in lower speeds clunks into gear and has a banging feeling from back of car. i started it one day in carpark and was going about 5km and tried to go faster but car felt like it was stuck in gear and had no pickup. Eventually I pulled over and was towed home. Hey presto next day it worked perfectly. It surges at 70kms.
Sometimes the ignition doesn't catch.
Is it normal for the brakes to grab when going downhilll. The pull me up harder and then go on.

thank you

Gillian
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Glenn Bradley replied 6 years ago.
Hi Gillian, it’s Glenn here. I can help you with your question.

It sounds like your transmission has an electronic control problem.
Tell me... how many km's has your Territory done?
also
Do you have any unusual lights coming up?

Even if I'm offline please post your reply here and I'll respond ASAP.The JustAnswer system will automatically send me an email to let me know of your response.
Cheers Glenn.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi

It has done about 70,000Km. I am not really sure what to look for regarding lights as they come up and off again so quickly so quickly when it is started. I don't think any are on while driving though.

Thank you

Gillian

Ok, thanks for the extra info.

You would have noticed any warning lights as they would stay on when you are driving.
The transmission's electronic control system relies on many sensors and switches to send signals to the ECM (computer) then the computer in turn shifts the gears. Much of the control system is outside of the transmission.
It sounds like that day in the carpark the automatic transmission was in "limp mode" which gives you 3rd gear only when in drive, that would explain why the car felt heavy to drive, When the ignition is switched off and back on again that resets the system and if the fault is intermittent the light will not come back on and the car will perform properly. The clunking into gear at lower speeds sound to me like a transmission fault as well, possibly one of the electronic controls giving some trouble. The car needs to be connected to a gadget called a Scan Tool to look at what diagnostic trouble codes have been recorded in the car's on board system during the time that the malfunction was occurring. This will enable the mechanic to diagnose the problem and rectify it. The surging at 70km/h could also be related, in any case a trouble code read may help uncover this as well. The brakes grabbing will more than likely be a separate issue but get them to road test the car to see what's happening there. The same thing with the ignition not catching - make sure that you mention that so they can see if there is any codes in the system for that.
Tip: maybe consider taking the car to an automatic transmission specialist.

I would suggest using a member of the Automatic Transmission Rebuilders of Australasia (ATRA). ATRA is a division of the Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers (IAME) and brings together a professional highly skilled and dedicated group of Transmission Repairers in Australia and New Zealand. Go to: http://www.atraonline.com.au & click on member lists to find someone close to you.

Don't forget that if you have any more questions or you are unsure of what I mean in the information provided please ask for more clarification, I'm only too happy to work with you to achieve a good result. Cheers Glenn.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

HI

The service guys said they checked the computer and couldn't find anything. It is frustrating, It runs out of its three mth warranty this week so I hope it can be fixed. I heard Territories have a lot of these problems with transmissions playing up.

Thank you

Gillian

Ok then if it's under warranty they really are obliged to help you. What I suggest is if they are unable to diagnose/fix it that you ask them to refer the problem to a transmission specialist and the specialist should then drive it with their scan tool connected to see what's wrong. These transmissions have been a common transmission in the Ford models for many years and are easy to diagnose/fix. I'm thinking that from what you have told me that your transmission may well have a faulty variable pressure solenoid (VPS). It's just that this type of repair is usually out of the field of expertise of general mechanics.

Cheers Glenn