Glenn Bradley
Glenn Bradley, Australian Car Mechanic
Experience:  Ex Transmission Shop Owner, Driveline Specialist, 30+ years in the Australian Automotive Industry

Ford Laser How do I top up the transmission fluid in a KH

How do I top up the transmission fluid in a KH laser. I cant find the filler cap.
Hi, it’s Glenn here. I can help you with your question.

What you need to look for is the transmission dipstick. it's a separate small dipstick located above the transmission at the end of the engine. That's where you check the level and also where the transmission fluid goes in - down the dipstick tube. You will need a small funnel to do the job. The fluid for your transmission is Dexron 3 or an equivalent. Make sure that you check the level correctly - engine idling in park with the handbrake on and the car needs to be on flat ground as well to get an accurate reading.

Cheers Glenn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My car is a manual and doesn't seem to have the dipstick you mention it's a 93 model kh
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have double checked the transmission doesn't have a dipstick as you stated how do I put fluid in to this transmission? It's a kh 93 model
My apologies,

I should have asked you if it was an auto or a manual. On you model it's a little involved because there is no check/fill plug... it is checked and filled via the speedo drive (that's where the speedo cable connects to the gearbox). It's location is way down the back low in the engine bay. You have to remove the drive and then check the oil level by shining a light down there. The correct level is: the low mark is the top of the gear itself & the full mark is the top of where the gear steps down. You will need a funnel with tube attached to top up the oil. The correct grade of oil is: TQ Dexron 3 or an equivalent (that's actually auto trans fluid but it's the correct oil for your manual gearbox).

Cheers Glenn