Scott B
Scott B, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, Service Manager & Proprietor 20+ years
46872295

Ford Falcon need to replace alternator in ford au falcon sedan

need to replace alternator in ford au falcon sedan with 6 cyl auto transmission
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Scott B replied 3 years ago.

Hi Im Scott

What would you like to know ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have purchased a replacement alternator for my car, but i need to know HOW to replace it "step-by-step" .. so far, I have removed the battery and jacked the car up so that i can see underneath to get to the alternator .. please tell me how to replace this part without messing it up?? ;-/
Expert:  Scott B replied 3 years ago.

Okay no problem

The 1st step is to remove the belt (by backing the belt tensioner off). There is one main electrical post post on the back of the alternator undo with 10mm spanner and one electrical connector which will just pull off.

There are 3 bolts holding the alternator to the engine I believe they need 12mm sockets to undo these. Once you have the alternator out it is advisable to check the 2 to ensure they are identical. Repeat the steps in reverse order to refit. It is usually easier if you have someone there to help hold the weight while you work. Ensure that the Battery terminals go on the correct poles and always connect the negative last. I hope this has helped you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok. are you able to wait online a few minutes while i try this??
Expert:  Scott B replied 3 years ago.
No problem will be here for another 20mins or so.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i am just unsure WHICH part I need to touch to loosen off the belt tensioner?? PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS PART as I do not want the whole belt to come off .. :-S
Expert:  Scott B replied 3 years ago.
Hi You will require the whole belt to come off as it is a serpentine belt unfortunately there is no other way around it. A helpful thing to do is to draw yourself a diagram of the way the belt goes before you remove it. sometimes it is actually shown on a sticker under the bonnet. The belt tensioner is spring loaded and if the centre nut is turned with a spanner this will loosen it so you can remove the belt.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok. I am going to try this now, PLEASE wait, I am finding ur instructions very helpful, and I am sorry to be a "ford for dummies" kinda client! :)
Expert:  Scott B replied 3 years ago.
lol .... no problem im here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks .. just ANOTHER stupid question .. is the nut i need to loosen on the radiator side or the back??
Expert:  Scott B replied 3 years ago.
The nut for the cable ? this is on the back you will see the thick cable going to it. The nut for the belt adjuster? it doesnt require loosening it needs to be turned in the direction of tightening, when you do this you will see that its on a spring loaded arm and the belt will loosen , this is the most difficult part you need to have the spanner on the nut ready to put the belt on when refitting and hold the pulley away until you get the belt on when you release it the belt will be tensioned.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the second one is what i meant .. whoops! lol! (blush) Is there a good picture / diagram that you can recommend that i can refer to, that might help me to know EXACTLY what I am touching and what I need to be careful of when I am tightening the belt back up?? :/
Expert:  Scott B replied 3 years ago.

here you go .... this is a good description

http://autofix.com.au/blog/ba-falcon-drivebelt-replacement

even though it is for BA its still very similar to AU

Edited by Brogs70 on 1/5/2011 at 6:56 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok .. thanks for that scott .. is the BA diagram the same as an AU diagram?? Not much knowledge about Ford's I'm sad to say .. hmmm :S
Expert:  Scott B replied 3 years ago.
Yes it is identical you shouldnt have any more problems im offline now (wife has a list of jobs for me) if you need me any more i will try to get back online tonight but you should be fine from here on in
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok .. thank you SOOOOOOO much .. tell the wife that I am truly sorry to be SUCH A PAIN!! thanks :) can i contact YOU back if I "accept my answer" now?? or do i leave it open until we are finished?? lol ;/
Expert:  Scott B replied 3 years ago.
Not a problem, happy to help, you can always contact me here.
Scott B, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience: Qualified Automotive Mechanic, Service Manager & Proprietor 20+ years