Glenn Bradley
Glenn Bradley, Australian Car Mechanic
Experience:  Ex Transmission Shop Owner, Driveline Specialist, 30+ years in the Australian Automotive Industry
34315307

I have a ford bantam with a 1.3l Rocam Engine. Over the

Customer Question

I have a ford bantam with a 1.3l Rocam Engine.

Over the last month or so, the performance has deteriorated.

Acceleration is slower and top end less now.
Oil is ok, Air Filter is ok and fuel filter seems ok too.
Spark plug no 1 has oil residue which is at an angle on the plug. I assume this is because the plug is inserted at an angle.
The engine idles beautifully.
Accelerating feels like a small diesel turbo - with that little bit of lag before take off.
when rapidly decelerating the car jolts with the loss of power followed by an unusual "dook" sound. I did notice a little slack on the accelerator cable, but not very much.

Any assistance will be helpful.
Thanks
Jonathan
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Curtis replied 4 years ago.

This is not a common concern. You may have a blocked catalytic converter, you can try disconnect the catalytic converter and see if the power returns to normal. (Note: the vehicle will be very loud) Otherwise you will need to have the catalytic converter tested.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Curtis

I am writing from South Africa. My vehilce is not fitted with a catalytic convertor and is a fuel injetected system using unleaded fuel. 2005 model.

This cannot be the problem.

Regards
Jonathan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
The expert came back with an answer referring to a catalytic converter. This is in accurate as my vehicle does not have a catalytic converter fitted.

I need another view point.
Expert:  Glenn Bradley replied 4 years ago.
Hi Jonathan, it's Glenn here,
Check your accelerator cable for full throttle operation, have someone operate the pedal inside the car & press down to the floor to full throttle (key off/engine off) then locate where the cable connects at the throttle body, see if you can turn the throttle cam any further, that will confirm if you have full throttle at the engine - sometimes cable outers collapse. another thing, does the exhaust output sound normal at the back of the car? Along the lines of what Curtis suggested maybe inspect the exhaust for any damage such as a crushed muffler or pipe causing a restriction, also listen underneath the car with someone revving the engine - listen for any muffler internal noises such as loose baffles causing a restriction of flow. Have you had any out of the ordinary dash lights on when driving? Quite often these issues are simple things wrong.

Don't forget that if you have any more questions or you are unsure of what I mean in the information provided please ask for more clarification, I'm only too happy to work with you to achieve a good result. Cheers Glenn.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Glen

Checked throttle position when pedal fully pressed - 100 %.
Sound level at rear of exhaust is perfectly good no intermittant sound or odd sound.
Smooth sounding.

I pulled this spark plug out yesterday. All 4 looked like this.
I put new ones in and things improved slightly. I think there may be oil in combustion chamber.

There is no oil on the outside of the motor at all / no leaks evident.

See picture of plug.

Regards
Jonathan

Spark Plug Graphic
Hi Jonathan, the spark plug doesn't appear to be oil fouled, the next thing to check is the fuel filter, they can block over time, it may be located under the car near the fuel tank, sometimes they are also located under the hood. You need to completely remove it, tip it upside down so the remaining fuel flows out of the inlet pipe and watch to see if any contaminants flow from it. If any doubt of it's age it's best to replace it. Restricted fuel supply would mean poor pressure to the fuel injectors.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Glen

Thanks for the feedback. I'm pleased about the plugs - I was concerned the head gasket or valve stem seals had gone or something related.

I happen to have a new fuel filtre on hand. I will make the change today ahd provide you with further feedback.

Thanks once again for the assistance.

Regards
Jonathan
Hi Jonathan,
That's good to hear, let me know how it goes.
Cheers Glenn.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Glen

I changed the fuel filter - can't say there was much of a difference in power.
Also there did not seem to be much contaminant in the filter either.

When I punch the throttle the engine does not immediately respond. There is a slight delay before revs suddenly climb. About 3/4 of a second.

Regards
Jonathan
Hi Jonathan,
When you punch the throttle the engine does not immediately respond - that is fairly normal on most EFI engines, they are a little delayed on full throttle from idle.
The next thing to do is a fuel Volume Test.
A fuel pump that delivers normal pressure may still cause driveability problems if it can't deliver enough fuel volume to meet the engine's needs. A fuel volume test measures the volume of fuel delivered over a specified interval. This test can be done by disconnecting the fuel return line from the fuel pressure regulator or from the inlet line into the fuel rail and connecting a hose from it to a large container. Caution: Make sure there are no open sparks or flames nearby while doing this test!
With the key on - engine off, energize the pump and measure the volume of fuel delivered during the specified interval of time. As a rule, a good pump should deliver about one litre of fuel in 30 seconds.
Causes of low fuel volume delivered include a worn fuel pump, or inlet sock in the tank, obstructed fuel line or nearly empty tank.
Another thing that comes to mind is problems with the coolant sensor or oxygen sensor that also can affect fuel delivery. A coolant sensor that always reads cold will prevent the engine from going into closed loop resulting in a rich fuel mixture. A dead oxygen sensor can have the same effect. So too, can a contaminated or sluggish O2 sensor. Have you always been consistent with the fuel type used? Has any exhaust work been done ahead of the oxygen sensor? I'm not sure on your engine if there is only one coolant sensor for everything but is the temp guage working as usual?

Edited by Glenn Bradley on 7/14/2010 at 7:44 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Glen,

Now you have thrown me for a loop. I could proberly do most the things you have now asked - but you'll have to detail it for me more descriptively if possible.

I attended a course which was a good 60 km's open freeway travel one direction to the destineation. The vehicle felt great and I was amazed at how it performed - ie Power.
It accelerated reasonably and I could push it to a good 160 Kmph with no fuss.

Then during this period which lasted a week, I refueled twice. Once was a little suspect - where the attendant left the hose in the fill nozzle unattended and proberly wasted about 10 litres down the side of my car and the side walk. I only realised when I inspected the vehicle after smelling fuel and found half the fuel gushing out.

I never checked what fuel she actually put in, although I had requested unleaded.
Also something told me before I left the filling station to check my fuel cap - when I did she had left this loose and unlocked.

I would say that from then their seemed to be a problem, but I can't nail it down to that specific day. ???.

I do recall another time more recently that I believe something foreign may have entered my tank. The performance dropped terribly and my fuel consumption halved. When I refuled I made sure they used unleaded and then monitored it. Found that consuption was 100 times better and performance 70 times better from previous fill.

Regards
Jonathan
Ok jonathan, maybe the fuel that went in at one fill could have been something other than unleaded? Do you have leaded available where you buy fuel?
As far as the fuel delivery test goes, this test can be done by disconnecting the fuel return line from the fuel pressure regulator or from the inlet line into the fuel rail and connecting a hose from it to a large container. See image below showing diagrams.
graphic
Glenn Bradley, Australian Car Mechanic
Experience: Ex Transmission Shop Owner, Driveline Specialist, 30+ years in the Australian Automotive Industry