Andrew, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  15yrs experience as an automotive technician working on Ford, Holden and Toyota.

vs commodore,ecotec 3.8 auto transmission.Iol hose to cooler

Customer Question

vs commodore,ecotec 3.8 auto transmission.Iol hose to cooler sprung a leak completely draining oil from gearbox to the piont that gears would not select or the car move at all.I replaced the hose and the oil now the car will move but the transmission changes slugishly and the car moves only at low speed with high much trouble am I in?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Andrew replied 6 years ago.
Hi, from what you have described it doesn't sound good at all, i think you might need a transmission rebuild. Im guessing that you have the oil level correct (vehicle running and cycle through the gears before checking). the 4L60E transmission in the VS can sometimes take some time to work the fluid through but if your getting slip with the correct level of fluid then i suspect you may have damaged the pump by running it out of oil, these transmissions are very sensitive to this. Hope this helps. Andrew.